Posted on January 05, 2016
The salad is far more easy to make than it sounds and tasty than it looks.. hehe!
I happen to try it at a vegetarian Japanese restaurant in Singapore and was quite intrigued with the flavours of it. When I tried it, I just murmured meekly to my husband that we can try making this at home, still trying to figure out the hidden ingredients apart from the big bunch of Kailan which was anyways visible. My husband became a big fan of this salad, which I happen to realise when he bought some kailan to mimic the same salad at home which put me in the zone and try my hands on making it.
The idea of experimenting with the ingredients to match the original flavours was fun and gave me a “feel good factor” kinda elevation.
Looking at its nutritional aspect, it’s very much similar to broccoli and hence also know Chinese broccoli. it’s high Calcium and folate content make it a to go vegetable for pregnancy and lactation. It can be also a choice of vegetable for those who are on lactose free diet and need to fulfill their calcium dose.
So here goes my version of the recipe! Hope you also like it as we do. It’s become a part of our family meals and loved it even more when I saw my son asking for it 🙂
Japanese Style Cold Kai lan Salad
A small bunch of Kailan leaves (you may also try with Spinach leaves)
Sesame oil – 2 tsps
Tahini paste / sesame paste – 1 tsp
Tamari soya sauce – 2 tsps
Roasted Peanuts – 1 tbsp
- Wash Kai lan and remove the hard part of the stem in a conservative manner from the bottom of the leaves. Remove the yellow flowers if any in between the leaves. Remember the stem are to be consumed.
- In a small bowl prepare the dressing with tahini paste, 1 tsp sesame oil, tamari sauce and mix well. Keep it aside.
- In a wok or pan on medium flame, add 1 tsp of sesame oil and let it heat for a few seconds. Add the roasted peanuts and fry for a few seconds.
- Throw in the full kai lan leaves and stir fry gently in the hot oil for a a min. Drizzle the dressing over the leaves in the pan and mix it crudely for a few seconds.
- Remove the salad from the flame and empty in a salad dish.
- Cover it with cling film and refrigerate for 15 mins or so. Serve and relish right away once you are ready for supper.
- Let us know if you tried and liked the recipe!
…..Happy Yummy and Guilt free Eating!